LeaderworX is about building a community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- I’d say to expect to spend time in community and engage in community activities, for those formation weeks were a big part of my summer. It was not just about leading service, but also learning about fellow community members, building community, and being a part of the larger Trenton community. The weeks spent not leading service groups were important for my personal formation, which I did not realize would be the case. So, I’d say to expect also great personal development in faith and knowledge beyond leadership.
- What to expect from LeaderWorX: a fantastic summer as long as you have an open mind and willing hand to help. You will be placed in situations like serving at a soup kitchen, facilitating conversations between 13 year olds and walking into a home for mentally disabled adults with 5 teenagers trailing behind you. As long as you refuse to be scared and allow God to help you, you will always come away from your experiences having learned something. Do not expect a lot of free time or a lot of sleep, but be prepared for community building, always, and late night discussions revolving around faith journeys. Expect cooking, working, driving, attending Mass and community service as a family, because that’s what your housemates are. Expect to find the kids on retreat equal parts challenging and inspiring that way, you’ll keep, your sanity. Expect a lot of help which will always be available to you. Expect long car rides, especially to West Virginia, bring music and games. Expect to be humbled this summer in the best way possible.
- Expect plenty of food, both from the stipend provided and multiple other sources. Also, be ready to deal with odd sleep hours: some late nights, some early mornings. Please be ready to talk in front of large and small groups, be ready to lead discussions. It’s not that hard. Expect to meet plenty of outgoing people your first few weeks, and try your best to remember them. It is very important that you can work with different types of people. Expect to encounter a wide range of personalities from your supervisors, coworkers, and participants.
- Leaderworx is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The leaderworx community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with the state of New Jersey and how the people of New Jersey will hold a special place in your heart.
- Expect to have the best summer of your life. You will meet incredible people in the people you work with, the people you encounter on trips, and the kids themselves. Expect long days and longer nights. It’s exhausting in so many ways, physical, emotional, spiritual but it is also gratifying. There will be so many more moments that will make you want to pull your hair out and cry than there will be gratifying ones, but those are the moments that will get you through another day. Expect to be challenged living in community, but expect to love those same people like a houseful of crazy siblings. Expect the kids to push you to your limits of patience and kindness, but then expect to miss those kids like crazy when the week is over, and come home bragging about your group. But then again, don’t expect anything. Come into the summer with an open mind and heart, and just be present to the entire experience.
- Expect to be welcomed with open arms by community members and to embrace it even if it something you’re not used to. Also, expect a lot of activities meant to bring the LeaderworX community together on a deeper level. On JusticeworX, expect to be up from 7 am to around 12 am or later for a week straight, but being delirious is fun! Expect to not be able to get along with everyone, that is what happens.