LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- What to expect from LeaderWorX: a fantastic summer as long as you have an open mind and willing hand to help. You will be placed in situations like serving at a soup kitchen, facilitating conversations between 13 year olds, and walking into a home for mentally disabled adults with five teenagers trailing behind you. As long as you refuse to be scared and allow God to help you, you will always come away from your experiences having learned something. Do not expect a lot of free time or a lot of sleep, but be prepared for community building and late night discussions revolving around faith journeys. Expect cooking, working, driving, attending Mass, and community service as a family, because that’s what your housemates are. Expect to find the teens on retreat equal parts challenging and inspiring. That way you’ll keep, your sanity. Expect a lot of help which will always be available to you. Expect long car rides, especially to West Virginia. Bring music and games. Expect to be humbled this summer in the best way possible.
- There are two types of WorX programs: ServiceworX for middle school youth and JusticeworX for high school teens. Both of them are week-long retreats that, in addition to prayer and community time, focus primarily on service to others. Each week you will be part of a team of people that will organize and facilitate one of these retreats at a variety of locations. The ServiceworX participants return home every day, so you will return to the CASA each day; the JusticeworX participants stay on site for the entire week, and you will be joining them. As a member of LeaderworX, it will be your responsibility to live and work together with your fellow LeaderworX members, prepare retreat locations for the summer, and organize and facilitate the events of each particular week with your staff for that week, which will usually involve your participation in things like leading group activities, guiding group discussions, and conducting service projects.
- When people tell you this summer is amazing, they're not lying! However, I wouldn't come in with the expectation that the summer is perfect at every moment. There will be challenges; you will be tested physically, mentally, and emotionally. However, you will see that at the end of the summer, those challenges were where you grow the most.
- Expect to be changed in ways more than you think is even possible. Expect to be challenged in your beliefs and concept of faith. You will leave this summer with a strong faith base built upon your personal experiences with people you will not only meet, but will know, and I'm not just talking about your fellow LeaderworX. You will leave with lifelong friends and memories and a family in the CFJ community that will always be there. You will leave wanting to come back. It truly is life changing. But most importantly, you will leave with a strong love for those you serve and a need to seek social justice.
- Leaderworx is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The leaderworx community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with the state of New Jersey and how the people of New Jersey will hold a special place in your heart.
- To be part of LeaderworX means to be part of a family that works together toward a mutual, important, and complex goal. Not complex in the way that it is difficult, but complex in the sense that it brings about numerous opportunities and experiences of learning and growth beyond what you can imagine. LeaderworX is a group that leads programs for middle and high school teens to experience various types of service. To be part of LeaderworX requires a lot of physical and internal energy, but in my experience, I was refueled by my fellow LeaderworX staff as well as the teens and the people I was serving. You live in community with your fellow LeaderworX members, and the experience is unique and challenging, yet is so much fun. The entire LeaderworX experience has the chance to be so much for you. My advice: if you want to get the most out of your experience, drop your expectations.