LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- When people tell you this summer is amazing, they're not lying! However, I wouldn't come in with the expectation that the summer is perfect at every moment. There will be challenges; you will be tested physically, mentally, and emotionally. However, you will see that at the end of the summer, those challenges were where you grow the most.
- LeaderworX is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The LeaderworX community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with this place as it will hold a special place in your heart.
- This might sound silly, but try not to come in with any expectations. I really think an open mind is key to getting the most out of LeaderworX. That being said, it’s always helpful to have an idea of what you’re going to be doing this summer. Expect the unexpected (sounds cliché I know, but it’s true). Things are going to happen that you may not be ready for and may not expect, but don't worry these are not only challenges, often they end up being the best gifts of the summer. On that note, expect to be challenged and pushed outside of your comfort zone. The positive outcomes from it are incredible. Really start to think about what it means to live in community, because it is such an important element of the summer. Expect to give a lot of yourself to others, but also expect to receive back all that those you work with and encounter will give to you. Expect hard work, some long nights, and lost sleep. Also expect to bond a lot with the other leaders and to make some great friends. Your faith may be challenged and tested, but hold to it. Make time to pray and remember that you are the hands and feet of Jesus. Share that love with all those that you meet. Expect to learn on the job! You go through training and community building that first formation week, but you really will learn the most during that first WorX week. Expect to learn a great deal about the area, the world, others, and yourself. I hope you use this summer to discover what you’re most passionate about. Once you do, never forget it. This summer will be a great learning experience if you’re open to all that it has to offer.
- What to expect from LeaderWorX: a fantastic summer as long as you have an open mind and willing hand to help. You will be placed in situations like serving at a soup kitchen, facilitating conversations between 13 year olds, and walking into a home for mentally disabled adults with five teenagers trailing behind you. As long as you refuse to be scared and allow God to help you, you will always come away from your experiences having learned something. Do not expect a lot of free time or a lot of sleep, but be prepared for community building and late night discussions revolving around faith journeys. Expect cooking, working, driving, attending Mass, and community service as a family, because that’s what your housemates are. Expect to find the teens on retreat equal parts challenging and inspiring. That way you’ll keep, your sanity. Expect a lot of help which will always be available to you. Expect long car rides, especially to West Virginia. Bring music and games. Expect to be humbled this summer in the best way possible.
- Expect to be stretched in a holy and beautiful way. This summer you will go through the gifts and challenges with living in community; get ready to love! This summer you will get a chance to not only lead others in service, but be at the service of those serving. Expect to be challenged by your students, their problems, awkwardness… in the same breath, expect to be challenged to grow in charity by the example your students set. Expect to rely on your LeaderworX community and to be stretched to love and serve beyond your capacity.
- Expect that you will click with some people more easily than others but it is important to keep trying to forge relationships with everyone in the community. A LeaderworX summer is one of adventure and being pushed out of your comfort zone; if you don't step out of your box to meet new people you won't get everything possible out of the summer.