LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- The biggest thing to expect from LeaderworX is the unexpected. Due to the community living and actual work component during your time at the center, no one day is the same as another. You will meet all sorts of different people, serve at a wide range of service sites, probably feel uncomfortable at times and through all of this, most importantly, you will grow. Expect change in many positive ways.
- What to expect from LeaderWorX: a fantastic summer as long as you have an open mind and willing hand to help. You will be placed in situations like serving at a soup kitchen, facilitating conversations between 13 year olds, and walking into a home for mentally disabled adults with five teenagers trailing behind you. As long as you refuse to be scared and allow God to help you, you will always come away from your experiences having learned something. Do not expect a lot of free time or a lot of sleep, but be prepared for community building and late night discussions revolving around faith journeys. Expect cooking, working, driving, attending Mass, and community service as a family, because that’s what your housemates are. Expect to find the teens on retreat equal parts challenging and inspiring. That way you’ll keep, your sanity. Expect a lot of help which will always be available to you. Expect long car rides, especially to West Virginia. Bring music and games. Expect to be humbled this summer in the best way possible.
- LeaderworX is a great opportunity for you to grow in yourself and to help form the minds of many others you encounter. One piece of advice I wish to mention is the reality that you are going to be challenged and you are going to experience conflict. This is not a bad thing for it is through conflict that growth happens. The important part is to be yourself, to be the person God has created you to be. This includes all of your little quirks and personality traits. LeaderworX is an opportunity for you to grow as a person so you need to bring yourself to this summer and the people you work with and lead need you to be yourself. That being said, you are going to disagree with other from the smallest things to the most important things. It is important not to ignore your disagreements, address them. One thing I value most in life is working through conflict and overcome obstacles in your path. This cannot be done if you hide from them. I challenge you to grow and develop as people this can only be done through conflict and struggle either in yourself or with others. To quote scripture, “Do not be Afraid” and “There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear”
- Expect that you will click with some people more easily than others but it is important to keep trying to forge relationships with everyone in the community. A LeaderworX summer is one of adventure and being pushed out of your comfort zone; if you don't step out of your box to meet new people you won't get everything possible out of the summer.
- Expect to be welcomed with open arms by community members and to embrace it even if it something you're not used to. Also, expect a lot of activities meant to bring the LeaderworX community together on a deeper level. On JusticeworX, be prepared for very long days all week long and only little sleep! Expect to not be able to get along with everyone, that is what happens sometimes, but we all learn to live in community and appreciate one another.
- Whatever you expect based on the typical Catholic camp or service experience, forget it. LeaderworX is unlike anything else. The community is going to be filled with differing personalities that are reflected in pretty much everything they do - the way they wash dishes, lead a group of students, express their faith, etc. This community becomes your family and you will laugh with them, be constantly challenged by them, jam out to tacky top 40 radio with them, celebrate the Eucharist with them, and have an incredible summer with them! Expect to grow in your faith, knowledge of Catholic Social Teaching, communication skills, and appreciation for snack time. Just remember that it is okay to be drawn to some people more than others, to ask for help, and not always think that service is fun. You will learn what service means and just how meaningful one week can be. Expect lots of face to face communication and not a lot of texting, lots of sandwiches, to learn more than you instruct, to do things for the first time, to make the most of a week, and to spend lots of time outdoors. Most of all, expect to have the best summer of your life if you fully invest in the experience.