LeaderworX is about building a community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- I’d say to expect to spend time in community and engage in community activities, for those formation weeks were a big part of my summer. It was not just about leading service, but also learning about fellow community members, building community, and being a part of the larger Trenton community. The weeks spent not leading service groups were important for my personal formation, which I did not realize would be the case. So, I’d say to expect also great personal development in faith and knowledge beyond leadership.
- Expect to be stretched in a holy and beautiful way. This summer you will go through the gifts and challenges with living in community; get ready to love! This summer you will get a chance to not only lead others in service, but be at the service of those serving. Expect to be challenged by your students, their problems, awkwardness… in the same breath, expect to be challenged to grow in charity by the example your students set. Expect to rely on your LeaderworX community and to be stretched to love and serve beyond your capacity.
- Leaderworx is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The leaderworx community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with the state of New Jersey and how the people of New Jersey will hold a special place in your heart.
- Whatever you expect based on the typical Catholic camp or service experience, forget it. LeaderworX is unlike anything else. The community is going to be filled with differing personalities that are reflected in pretty much everything they do – the way they wash dishes, lead a group of students, express their faith, etc. This community becomes your family and you will laugh with them at 2AM, be constantly challenged by them, jam out to tacky top 40 radio with them, celebrate the Eucharist with them, and have an incredible Summer with them. Expect to grow in your: faith, knowledge of Catholic Social Teaching, communication skills, and appreciation for snack time. Just remember that it is okay to be drawn to some people more than others, to ask for help, and not always think that service is fun. You will learn what service means and just how meaningful one week can be. Expect lots of face to face communication and not a lot of texting, lots of sandwiches, to learn more than you instruct, to do things for the first time, to make the most of a week, andto spend lots of time outdoors. Most of all, expect to have the best Summer of your life if you fully invest in the experience.
- LwX can expect to be challenged physically, emotionally and spiritually. Working non-stop for 9 weeks can take its toll physically, so it’s important to take time for yourself and eat healthily. Emotionally, there will be days when it all seems like too much and you will wonder what you got yourself into. Lean on your community and on your faith to get through. Spiritually, this summer will test you because you will encounter people who do not interpret faith the way you do. Take it as a lesson in tolerance, not an opportunity to attack. There will be days when you hate it but you will experience God & the beauty of love and community so much this summer, and that will make the hard days worthwhile.
- It’s really challenging to give an image of what to expect, i can say that everyone should come with open hearts and minds and let the Holy Spirit flow through all aspects of the program. I feel like the whole point of the program is to grow with God and our Global Family through service and social justice conversation, so maybe everyone should expect that, to grow spiritually, emotionally, and your perceptions will be challenged!