LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- There are two types of WorX programs: ServiceworX for middle school youth and JusticeworX for high school teens. Both of them are week-long retreats that, in addition to prayer and community time, focus primarily on service to others. Each week you will be part of a team of people that will organize and facilitate one of these retreats at a variety of locations. The ServiceworX participants return home every day, so you will return to the CASA each day; the JusticeworX participants stay on site for the entire week, and you will be joining them. As a member of LeaderworX, it will be your responsibility to live and work together with your fellow LeaderworX members, prepare retreat locations for the summer, and organize and facilitate the events of each particular week with your staff for that week, which will usually involve your participation in things like leading group activities, guiding group discussions, and conducting service projects.
- To truly be challenged emotionally but also learning to accept the challenges and differences the community will encounter along the way. This experience is truly what one decides to make it. Expect and allow yourself to come out of this experience a totally different person!
- When people tell you this summer is amazing, they're not lying! However, I wouldn't come in with the expectation that the summer is perfect at every moment. There will be challenges; you will be tested physically, mentally, and emotionally. However, you will see that at the end of the summer, those challenges were where you grow the most.
- To be part of LeaderworX means to be part of a family that works together toward a mutual, important, and complex goal. Not complex in the way that it is difficult, but complex in the sense that it brings about numerous opportunities and experiences of learning and growth beyond what you can imagine. LeaderworX is a group that leads programs for middle and high school teens to experience various types of service. To be part of LeaderworX requires a lot of physical and internal energy, but in my experience, I was refueled by my fellow LeaderworX staff as well as the teens and the people I was serving. You live in community with your fellow LeaderworX members, and the experience is unique and challenging, yet is so much fun. The entire LeaderworX experience has the chance to be so much for you. My advice: if you want to get the most out of your experience, drop your expectations.
- Be ready to experience the best summer of your life! You are going to have an amazing time at LeaderworX. The best part of this experience is that you will develop relationships with members of an awesome community of students, brothers and sisters who share the same faith and are passionate about serving God and serving their neighbors. Always have a positive attitude with the youth that you will be serving and develop relationships with them as well. Bring your acoustic guitar or ukulele, congas, skateboard or longboard, a soccer ball, and all of your energy to participate and do a lot of service learning. You are going to learn many new things especially living in community.
- Expect to have the best summer of your life. You will meet incredible people in the people you work with, the people you encounter on trips, and the teens themselves. Expect long days and longer nights. It's exhausting in so many ways, physically, emotionally, spiritually, but it is also gratifying. There will be so many more moments that will make you want to pull your hair out and cry than there will be gratifying ones, but those are the moments that will get you through another day. Expect to be challenged living in community, but expect to love those same people like a houseful of crazy siblings. Expect the teens to push you to your limits of patience and kindness, but then expect to miss them like crazy when the week is over, and come home bragging about your group. But then again, don't expect anything. Come into the summer with an open mind and heart, and just be present to the entire experience.