LeaderworX is about building a community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- Okay, don’t have expectations. Don’t come in with an agenda, because I’m telling you right now it’s going to be blown away within the first week. You can’t form premeditated ideas about how service, community life, and interactions will occur. My advice is approach everything with an open mind. You will only experience this summer once (even if you do the program for more than one year, the experience will not be exactly the same). Since you only do it once, enjoy every moment. Even when times seem crappy, I promise you will grow from it and will eventually look back and have thoughts like, “I would clean vomit out of a mini-van in West Virginia again in a hot second”.
- LwX can expect to be challenged physically, emotionally and spiritually. Working non-stop for 9 weeks can take its toll physically, so it’s important to take time for yourself and eat healthily. Emotionally, there will be days when it all seems like too much and you will wonder what you got yourself into. Lean on your community and on your faith to get through. Spiritually, this summer will test you because you will encounter people who do not interpret faith the way you do. Take it as a lesson in tolerance, not an opportunity to attack. There will be days when you hate it but you will experience God & the beauty of love and community so much this summer, and that will make the hard days worthwhile.
- With this experience, I saw on previous “what to expect posts” that they had a life changing summer or the best summer of their lives. I thought they were being dramatic or trying to make people want to be leaders, but I was so so wrong. I can say I had the most life changing, beautiful and fun summer ever. Yes, expect stress. Expect it to be scary the first formation week during training when you have no idea what you are doing or what to expect. Expect it to be awkward for the first bit of this with the community of leaders. Expect there to be unexpected issues during the trips, whether with the kids or at sites or even challenges within you to stay awake or be positive. But, expect to have an incredible and intentional leader community to lean on during the difficult times, make you laugh when there is nothing else you want to do but cry, and just simply be there for you. Expect to do the same for them. Expect to have fun, whether it is singing songs in the vans, goofing off during staff meetings, or joking around with the kids. Go in without expectations, and just let things happen. Expect that it will all be okay. Expect to find God and find love in the simplest of things and within the people around you.
- Expect to be stretched in a holy and beautiful way. This summer you will go through the gifts and challenges with living in community; get ready to love! This summer you will get a chance to not only lead others in service, but be at the service of those serving. Expect to be challenged by your students, their problems, awkwardness… in the same breath, expect to be challenged to grow in charity by the example your students set. Expect to rely on your LeaderworX community and to be stretched to love and serve beyond your capacity.
- Be ready to experience the best summer of your life. You are going to have an amazing time at LeaderworX. The best part of this experience is that you will develop relationships with members of an awesome community of students, brothers and sisters who share the same faith and are passionate about serving God and serving our neighbors. Always have a positive attitude with the youth that you will be serving and develop relationships with them also. Bring your acoustic guitar or ukulele, congas, skateboard or long board a soccer ball and all of your energy to participate and do a lot of service learning. You are going to learn many new things specially living in community.
- Leaderworx is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The leaderworx community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with the state of New Jersey and how the people of New Jersey will hold a special place in your heart.