LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- What to expect from LeaderWorX: a fantastic summer as long as you have an open mind and willing hand to help. You will be placed in situations like serving at a soup kitchen, facilitating conversations between 13 year olds, and walking into a home for mentally disabled adults with five teenagers trailing behind you. As long as you refuse to be scared and allow God to help you, you will always come away from your experiences having learned something. Do not expect a lot of free time or a lot of sleep, but be prepared for community building and late night discussions revolving around faith journeys. Expect cooking, working, driving, attending Mass, and community service as a family, because that’s what your housemates are. Expect to find the teens on retreat equal parts challenging and inspiring. That way you’ll keep, your sanity. Expect a lot of help which will always be available to you. Expect long car rides, especially to West Virginia. Bring music and games. Expect to be humbled this summer in the best way possible.
- LeaderworX participants can expect to be challenged physically, emotionally and spiritually. Working non-stop for nine weeks can take its toll physically, so it’s important to take time for yourself and eat healthy. Emotionally, there will be days when it all seems like too much and you will wonder what you got yourself into. Lean on your community and on your faith to get through. Spiritually, this summer will test you because you will encounter people who do not interpret faith the way you do. Take it as a lesson in tolerance, not an opportunity to attack. There will be days when you hate it but you will experience God and the beauty of love and community so much this summer, and that will make the hard days worthwhile.
- Expect to have the best summer of your life. You will meet incredible people in the people you work with, the people you encounter on trips, and the teens themselves. Expect long days and longer nights. It's exhausting in so many ways, physically, emotionally, spiritually, but it is also gratifying. There will be so many more moments that will make you want to pull your hair out and cry than there will be gratifying ones, but those are the moments that will get you through another day. Expect to be challenged living in community, but expect to love those same people like a houseful of crazy siblings. Expect the teens to push you to your limits of patience and kindness, but then expect to miss them like crazy when the week is over, and come home bragging about your group. But then again, don't expect anything. Come into the summer with an open mind and heart, and just be present to the entire experience.
- I'd say to expect to spend time in community and engage in community activities, for those formation weeks were a big part of my summer. It was not just about leading service, but also learning about fellow community members, building community, and being a part of the larger Trenton community. The weeks spent not leading service groups were important for my personal formation, which I did not realize would be the case. So, I'd say to expect also great personal development in faith and knowledge beyond leadership.
- To be part of LeaderworX means to be part of a family that works together toward a mutual, important, and complex goal. Not complex in the way that it is difficult, but complex in the sense that it brings about numerous opportunities and experiences of learning and growth beyond what you can imagine. LeaderworX is a group that leads programs for middle and high school teens to experience various types of service. To be part of LeaderworX requires a lot of physical and internal energy, but in my experience, I was refueled by my fellow LeaderworX staff as well as the teens and the people I was serving. You live in community with your fellow LeaderworX members, and the experience is unique and challenging, yet is so much fun. The entire LeaderworX experience has the chance to be so much for you. My advice: if you want to get the most out of your experience, drop your expectations.
- When people tell you this summer is amazing, they're not lying! However, I wouldn't come in with the expectation that the summer is perfect at every moment. There will be challenges; you will be tested physically, mentally, and emotionally. However, you will see that at the end of the summer, those challenges were where you grow the most.