LeaderworX is about building a community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- Expect to have the best summer of your life. You will meet incredible people in the people you work with, the people you encounter on trips, and the kids themselves. Expect long days and longer nights. It’s exhausting in so many ways, physical, emotional, spiritual but it is also gratifying. There will be so many more moments that will make you want to pull your hair out and cry than there will be gratifying ones, but those are the moments that will get you through another day. Expect to be challenged living in community, but expect to love those same people like a houseful of crazy siblings. Expect the kids to push you to your limits of patience and kindness, but then expect to miss those kids like crazy when the week is over, and come home bragging about your group. But then again, don’t expect anything. Come into the summer with an open mind and heart, and just be present to the entire experience.
- Expect to be welcomed with open arms by community members and to embrace it even if it something you’re not used to. Also, expect a lot of activities meant to bring the LeaderworX community together on a deeper level. On JusticeworX, expect to be up from 7 am to around 12 am or later for a week straight, but being delirious is fun! Expect to not be able to get along with everyone, that is what happens.
- Be ready to experience the best summer of your life. You are going to have an amazing time at LeaderworX. The best part of this experience is that you will develop relationships with members of an awesome community of students, brothers and sisters who share the same faith and are passionate about serving God and serving our neighbors. Always have a positive attitude with the youth that you will be serving and develop relationships with them also. Bring your acoustic guitar or ukulele, congas, skateboard or long board a soccer ball and all of your energy to participate and do a lot of service learning. You are going to learn many new things specially living in community.
- With this experience, I saw on previous “what to expect posts” that they had a life changing summer or the best summer of their lives. I thought they were being dramatic or trying to make people want to be leaders, but I was so so wrong. I can say I had the most life changing, beautiful and fun summer ever. Yes, expect stress. Expect it to be scary the first formation week during training when you have no idea what you are doing or what to expect. Expect it to be awkward for the first bit of this with the community of leaders. Expect there to be unexpected issues during the trips, whether with the kids or at sites or even challenges within you to stay awake or be positive. But, expect to have an incredible and intentional leader community to lean on during the difficult times, make you laugh when there is nothing else you want to do but cry, and just simply be there for you. Expect to do the same for them. Expect to have fun, whether it is singing songs in the vans, goofing off during staff meetings, or joking around with the kids. Go in without expectations, and just let things happen. Expect that it will all be okay. Expect to find God and find love in the simplest of things and within the people around you.
- Whatever you expect based on the typical Catholic camp or service experience, forget it. LeaderworX is unlike anything else. The community is going to be filled with differing personalities that are reflected in pretty much everything they do – the way they wash dishes, lead a group of students, express their faith, etc. This community becomes your family and you will laugh with them at 2AM, be constantly challenged by them, jam out to tacky top 40 radio with them, celebrate the Eucharist with them, and have an incredible Summer with them. Expect to grow in your: faith, knowledge of Catholic Social Teaching, communication skills, and appreciation for snack time. Just remember that it is okay to be drawn to some people more than others, to ask for help, and not always think that service is fun. You will learn what service means and just how meaningful one week can be. Expect lots of face to face communication and not a lot of texting, lots of sandwiches, to learn more than you instruct, to do things for the first time, to make the most of a week, andto spend lots of time outdoors. Most of all, expect to have the best Summer of your life if you fully invest in the experience.
- Leaderworx is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The leaderworx community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with the state of New Jersey and how the people of New Jersey will hold a special place in your heart.