LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- I'd say to expect to spend time in community and engage in community activities, for those formation weeks were a big part of my summer. It was not just about leading service, but also learning about fellow community members, building community, and being a part of the larger Trenton community. The weeks spent not leading service groups were important for my personal formation, which I did not realize would be the case. So, I'd say to expect also great personal development in faith and knowledge beyond leadership.
- Be ready to experience the best summer of your life! You are going to have an amazing time at LeaderworX. The best part of this experience is that you will develop relationships with members of an awesome community of students, brothers and sisters who share the same faith and are passionate about serving God and serving their neighbors. Always have a positive attitude with the youth that you will be serving and develop relationships with them as well. Bring your acoustic guitar or ukulele, congas, skateboard or longboard, a soccer ball, and all of your energy to participate and do a lot of service learning. You are going to learn many new things especially living in community.
- Don't have expectations. Don't come in with an agenda, because I'm telling you right now it's going to be blown away within the first week. Don't expect to know how service, community life, and personal interactions will occur. My advice is approach everything with an open mind. You will only experience this summer once (even if you do the program for more than one year, the experience will not be exactly the same). Since you only do it once, enjoy every moment. Even when times seem crappy, I promise you will grow from it and will eventually look back and have happy thoughts!
- With this experience, I saw on previous “what to expect posts” that they had a life changing summer or the best summer of their lives. I thought they were being dramatic or trying to make people want to be leaders, but I was so so wrong. I can say I had the most life changing, beautiful and fun summer ever. Yes, expect stress. Expect it to be scary the first formation week during training when you have no idea what you are doing or what to expect. Expect it to be awkward for the first bit of this with the community of leaders. Expect there to be unexpected issues during the trips, whether with the kids or at sites or even challenges within yourself to stay awake or be positive. But, expect to have an incredible and intentional leader community to lean on during the difficult times, make you laugh when there is nothing else you want to do but cry, and just simply be there for you. Expect to do the same for them. Expect to have fun, whether it is singing songs in the vans, goofing off during staff meetings, or joking around with the kids. Go in without expectations, and just let things happen. Expect that it will all be okay. Expect to find God and find love in the simplest of things and within the people around you.
- Expect to be changed in ways more than you think is even possible. Expect to be challenged in your beliefs and concept of faith. You will leave this summer with a strong faith base built upon your personal experiences with people you will not only meet, but will know, and I'm not just talking about your fellow LeaderworX. You will leave with lifelong friends and memories and a family in the CFJ community that will always be there. You will leave wanting to come back. It truly is life changing. But most importantly, you will leave with a strong love for those you serve and a need to seek social justice.
- There are two types of WorX programs: ServiceworX for middle school youth and JusticeworX for high school teens. Both of them are week-long retreats that, in addition to prayer and community time, focus primarily on service to others. Each week you will be part of a team of people that will organize and facilitate one of these retreats at a variety of locations. The ServiceworX participants return home every day, so you will return to the CASA each day; the JusticeworX participants stay on site for the entire week, and you will be joining them. As a member of LeaderworX, it will be your responsibility to live and work together with your fellow LeaderworX members, prepare retreat locations for the summer, and organize and facilitate the events of each particular week with your staff for that week, which will usually involve your participation in things like leading group activities, guiding group discussions, and conducting service projects.