LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- Expect to be challenged more than you have ever been before in your leadership, your creativity, and your faith. Bring an open heart and a willingness to serve and you will have the best summer of your life.
- I'd say to expect to spend time in community and engage in community activities, for those formation weeks were a big part of my summer. It was not just about leading service, but also learning about fellow community members, building community, and being a part of the larger Trenton community. The weeks spent not leading service groups were important for my personal formation, which I did not realize would be the case. So, I'd say to expect also great personal development in faith and knowledge beyond leadership.
- Expect to be changed in ways more than you think is even possible. Expect to be challenged in your beliefs and concept of faith. You will leave this summer with a strong faith base built upon your personal experiences with people you will not only meet, but will know, and I'm not just talking about your fellow LeaderworX. You will leave with lifelong friends and memories and a family in the CFJ community that will always be there. You will leave wanting to come back. It truly is life changing. But most importantly, you will leave with a strong love for those you serve and a need to seek social justice.
- Expect to have the best summer of your life. You will meet incredible people in the people you work with, the people you encounter on trips, and the teens themselves. Expect long days and longer nights. It's exhausting in so many ways, physically, emotionally, spiritually, but it is also gratifying. There will be so many more moments that will make you want to pull your hair out and cry than there will be gratifying ones, but those are the moments that will get you through another day. Expect to be challenged living in community, but expect to love those same people like a houseful of crazy siblings. Expect the teens to push you to your limits of patience and kindness, but then expect to miss them like crazy when the week is over, and come home bragging about your group. But then again, don't expect anything. Come into the summer with an open mind and heart, and just be present to the entire experience.
- LeaderworX is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The LeaderworX community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with this place as it will hold a special place in your heart.
- Expect that you will click with some people more easily than others but it is important to keep trying to forge relationships with everyone in the community. A LeaderworX summer is one of adventure and being pushed out of your comfort zone; if you don't step out of your box to meet new people you won't get everything possible out of the summer.