LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- To be part of LeaderworX means to be part of a family that works together toward a mutual, important, and complex goal. Not complex in the way that it is difficult, but complex in the sense that it brings about numerous opportunities and experiences of learning and growth beyond what you can imagine. LeaderworX is a group that leads programs for middle and high school teens to experience various types of service. To be part of LeaderworX requires a lot of physical and internal energy, but in my experience, I was refueled by my fellow LeaderworX staff as well as the teens and the people I was serving. You live in community with your fellow LeaderworX members, and the experience is unique and challenging, yet is so much fun. The entire LeaderworX experience has the chance to be so much for you. My advice: if you want to get the most out of your experience, drop your expectations.
- Expect plenty of food while you are there! Also, be ready to deal with odd sleep hours - some late nights and some early mornings. Be ready to talk in front of large and small groups and be ready to lead discussions. Expect to meet plenty of outgoing people your first few weeks; try your best to remember them and their names. It is very important that you can work with different types of people. Expect to encounter a wide range of personalities from your supervisors, coworkers, and participants.
- Expect to be welcomed with open arms by community members and to embrace it even if it something you're not used to. Also, expect a lot of activities meant to bring the LeaderworX community together on a deeper level. On JusticeworX, be prepared for very long days all week long and only little sleep! Expect to not be able to get along with everyone, that is what happens sometimes, but we all learn to live in community and appreciate one another.
- Expect to be stretched in a holy and beautiful way. This summer you will go through the gifts and challenges with living in community; get ready to love! This summer you will get a chance to not only lead others in service, but be at the service of those serving. Expect to be challenged by your students, their problems, awkwardness… in the same breath, expect to be challenged to grow in charity by the example your students set. Expect to rely on your LeaderworX community and to be stretched to love and serve beyond your capacity.
- Be ready to experience the best summer of your life! You are going to have an amazing time at LeaderworX. The best part of this experience is that you will develop relationships with members of an awesome community of students, brothers and sisters who share the same faith and are passionate about serving God and serving their neighbors. Always have a positive attitude with the youth that you will be serving and develop relationships with them as well. Bring your acoustic guitar or ukulele, congas, skateboard or longboard, a soccer ball, and all of your energy to participate and do a lot of service learning. You are going to learn many new things especially living in community.
- Expect to be changed in ways more than you think is even possible. Expect to be challenged in your beliefs and concept of faith. You will leave this summer with a strong faith base built upon your personal experiences with people you will not only meet, but will know, and I'm not just talking about your fellow LeaderworX. You will leave with lifelong friends and memories and a family in the CFJ community that will always be there. You will leave wanting to come back. It truly is life changing. But most importantly, you will leave with a strong love for those you serve and a need to seek social justice.