LeaderworX is about building a community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- There are two types of WorX programs: ServiceworX for middle schoolers, JusticeworX for high schoolers. Both of them are week-long retreats that, in addition to prayer and community time, focus primarily on service to others. Each week, you will be part of a team of people that will organize and facilitate one of these retreats at a variety of locations. The ServiceworX participants return home every day, so you will return to the CASA each day; the JusticeworX participants stay on site for the entire week, and you will be joining them. As a member of LeaderworX, it will be your responsibility to live and work together with your fellow LeaderworX members, prepare retreat locations for the summer, and organize and facilitate the events of each particular week with your staff for that week, which will usually involve your participation in things like leading group activities, guiding group discussions, and conducting service projects.
- Leaderworx is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The leaderworx community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with the state of New Jersey and how the people of New Jersey will hold a special place in your heart.
- Expect to be welcomed with open arms by community members and to embrace it even if it something you’re not used to. Also, expect a lot of activities meant to bring the LeaderworX community together on a deeper level. On JusticeworX, expect to be up from 7 am to around 12 am or later for a week straight, but being delirious is fun! Expect to not be able to get along with everyone, that is what happens.
- Whatever you expect based on the typical Catholic camp or service experience, forget it. LeaderworX is unlike anything else. The community is going to be filled with differing personalities that are reflected in pretty much everything they do – the way they wash dishes, lead a group of students, express their faith, etc. This community becomes your family and you will laugh with them at 2AM, be constantly challenged by them, jam out to tacky top 40 radio with them, celebrate the Eucharist with them, and have an incredible Summer with them. Expect to grow in your: faith, knowledge of Catholic Social Teaching, communication skills, and appreciation for snack time. Just remember that it is okay to be drawn to some people more than others, to ask for help, and not always think that service is fun. You will learn what service means and just how meaningful one week can be. Expect lots of face to face communication and not a lot of texting, lots of sandwiches, to learn more than you instruct, to do things for the first time, to make the most of a week, andto spend lots of time outdoors. Most of all, expect to have the best Summer of your life if you fully invest in the experience.
- What to expect from LeaderWorX: a fantastic summer as long as you have an open mind and willing hand to help. You will be placed in situations like serving at a soup kitchen, facilitating conversations between 13 year olds and walking into a home for mentally disabled adults with 5 teenagers trailing behind you. As long as you refuse to be scared and allow God to help you, you will always come away from your experiences having learned something. Do not expect a lot of free time or a lot of sleep, but be prepared for community building, always, and late night discussions revolving around faith journeys. Expect cooking, working, driving, attending Mass and community service as a family, because that’s what your housemates are. Expect to find the kids on retreat equal parts challenging and inspiring that way, you’ll keep, your sanity. Expect a lot of help which will always be available to you. Expect long car rides, especially to West Virginia, bring music and games. Expect to be humbled this summer in the best way possible.
- The biggest thing to expect from Leaderworx is the unexpected. Due to the community living and actual work component during your time at the center, no one day is the same as another. You will meet all sorts of different people, serve at a wide range of service sites, probably feel uncomfortable at times and through all of this, most importantly, you will grow. Expect change in many positive ways.