LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- To truly be challenged emotionally but also learning to accept the challenges and differences the community will encounter along the way. This experience is truly what one decides to make it. Expect and allow yourself to come out of this experience a totally different person!
- Expect that you will click with some people more easily than others but it is important to keep trying to forge relationships with everyone in the community. A LeaderworX summer is one of adventure and being pushed out of your comfort zone; if you don't step out of your box to meet new people you won't get everything possible out of the summer.
- It's really challenging to give an image of what to expect, I can say that everyone should come with open hearts and minds and let the Holy Spirit flow through all aspects of the program. I feel like the whole point of the program is to grow with God and our global family through service and social justice conversations, so maybe everyone should expect that to grow spiritually and emotionally - your perceptions must be challenged!
- Expect plenty of food while you are there! Also, be ready to deal with odd sleep hours - some late nights and some early mornings. Be ready to talk in front of large and small groups and be ready to lead discussions. Expect to meet plenty of outgoing people your first few weeks; try your best to remember them and their names. It is very important that you can work with different types of people. Expect to encounter a wide range of personalities from your supervisors, coworkers, and participants.
- The biggest thing to expect from LeaderworX is the unexpected. Due to the community living and actual work component during your time at the center, no one day is the same as another. You will meet all sorts of different people, serve at a wide range of service sites, probably feel uncomfortable at times and through all of this, most importantly, you will grow. Expect change in many positive ways.
- This might sound silly, but try not to come in with any expectations. I really think an open mind is key to getting the most out of LeaderworX. That being said, it’s always helpful to have an idea of what you’re going to be doing this summer. Expect the unexpected (sounds cliché I know, but it’s true). Things are going to happen that you may not be ready for and may not expect, but don't worry these are not only challenges, often they end up being the best gifts of the summer. On that note, expect to be challenged and pushed outside of your comfort zone. The positive outcomes from it are incredible. Really start to think about what it means to live in community, because it is such an important element of the summer. Expect to give a lot of yourself to others, but also expect to receive back all that those you work with and encounter will give to you. Expect hard work, some long nights, and lost sleep. Also expect to bond a lot with the other leaders and to make some great friends. Your faith may be challenged and tested, but hold to it. Make time to pray and remember that you are the hands and feet of Jesus. Share that love with all those that you meet. Expect to learn on the job! You go through training and community building that first formation week, but you really will learn the most during that first WorX week. Expect to learn a great deal about the area, the world, others, and yourself. I hope you use this summer to discover what you’re most passionate about. Once you do, never forget it. This summer will be a great learning experience if you’re open to all that it has to offer.