LeaderworX is about building a Christian community committed to reflecting on life, discerning a sense of calling, and the discovery of gifts. It is an opportunity to consider your direction in life and developing important skills to get there.
LeaderworX is a dynamic summer for young adults to:
What to Expect
- It's really challenging to give an image of what to expect, I can say that everyone should come with open hearts and minds and let the Holy Spirit flow through all aspects of the program. I feel like the whole point of the program is to grow with God and our global family through service and social justice conversations, so maybe everyone should expect that to grow spiritually and emotionally - your perceptions must be challenged!
- LeaderworX is a great opportunity for you to grow in yourself and to help form the minds of many others you encounter. One piece of advice I wish to mention is the reality that you are going to be challenged and you are going to experience conflict. This is not a bad thing for it is through conflict that growth happens. The important part is to be yourself, to be the person God has created you to be. This includes all of your little quirks and personality traits. LeaderworX is an opportunity for you to grow as a person so you need to bring yourself to this summer and the people you work with and lead need you to be yourself. That being said, you are going to disagree with other from the smallest things to the most important things. It is important not to ignore your disagreements, address them. One thing I value most in life is working through conflict and overcome obstacles in your path. This cannot be done if you hide from them. I challenge you to grow and develop as people this can only be done through conflict and struggle either in yourself or with others. To quote scripture, “Do not be Afraid” and “There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear”
- It will definitely be the best summer of your life. It's very important for you to know that you need to get out of your comfort zone. Know that all of the activities require a lot of effort from you. Everything will be as good as the effort and enthusiasm you put into it. I didn't know what to expect and everything was just amazing!
- Be ready to experience the best summer of your life! You are going to have an amazing time at LeaderworX. The best part of this experience is that you will develop relationships with members of an awesome community of students, brothers and sisters who share the same faith and are passionate about serving God and serving their neighbors. Always have a positive attitude with the youth that you will be serving and develop relationships with them as well. Bring your acoustic guitar or ukulele, congas, skateboard or longboard, a soccer ball, and all of your energy to participate and do a lot of service learning. You are going to learn many new things especially living in community.
- Leaderworx is time consuming but even with all the responsibilities of being a leader, one does not have to do everything on their own. The leaderworx community is supportive and if one is uncomfortable with any task, then someone is always willing to help you out. Also expect to be challenged in ways that you never would have imagined. There are activities that push you to be vulnerable and if we are not vulnerable as leaders, then how can we expect the participants to be open with us? In the end, expect to fall in love with the state of New Jersey and how the people of New Jersey will hold a special place in your heart.
- With this experience, I saw on previous “what to expect posts” that they had a life changing summer or the best summer of their lives. I thought they were being dramatic or trying to make people want to be leaders, but I was so so wrong. I can say I had the most life changing, beautiful and fun summer ever. Yes, expect stress. Expect it to be scary the first formation week during training when you have no idea what you are doing or what to expect. Expect it to be awkward for the first bit of this with the community of leaders. Expect there to be unexpected issues during the trips, whether with the kids or at sites or even challenges within yourself to stay awake or be positive. But, expect to have an incredible and intentional leader community to lean on during the difficult times, make you laugh when there is nothing else you want to do but cry, and just simply be there for you. Expect to do the same for them. Expect to have fun, whether it is singing songs in the vans, goofing off during staff meetings, or joking around with the kids. Go in without expectations, and just let things happen. Expect that it will all be okay. Expect to find God and find love in the simplest of things and within the people around you.