Frequently Asked Questions
What is LeaderworX?
LeaderworX is a transformative summer program for young adults interested in living in community, sharing their faith, discussing social justice issues and doing service.
The program consists of two components, formation weeks and worX weeks.
- Formation weeks: Community members spend time getting to know eachother, participating in robust discussions, taking trips, doing service, praying together and more! This past summer our LeaderworX community took a trip to Washington DC to learn about immigration reform, served breakfast in Trenton, spent a day at a water park, and went to church together.
- WorX weeks: During these weeks LeaderworX members help to facilitate week long social justice/service trips for middle and high school students. These trips allow LeaderoworX participants to share what they believe, mentor young people, and give back to the community. Some of our community partners include nursing homes, day cares, summer camps, soup kitchens, day programs for adults with developmental disabilities, food pantries, and farmers. These are truly life changing trips for the teenagers who attend them.
What are the dates for LeaderworX?
There are three options for LeaderworX this summer:
- Whole summer: June 8th-Aug 13th
- First 2/3 of summer: June 8th- July 23rd
- Last 2/3 of summer: June 29th- Aug 13th
Who can participate in LeaderworX?
We are looking for both Senior and Junior level participants.
- Senior LeaderworX: Individuals who are over 21 and have at least 3 years of clean driving experience are eligible for this position. Senior LeaderworX received a stipend of $1500 for the whole summer, or $1000 for two thirds. They also are provided housing and a food stipend.
- Junior Leaderworx: Individuals who are 18-20 year olds or are 21+ but do not meet the driving requirement are eligible for this position. Junior LeaderworX are provided with housing and given a food stipend during the summer.
In addition to the age requirement, applicants should:
- Be comfortable sharing their life and faith journey in public
- Have an interest in learning more about the social teachings of the Church
- Be willing to live in community with other young adults for the duration of their stay
- Posses a strong work ethic; hours are long and the work demanding
- Be eager to work with young people and to serve at-need populations
- Have a good sense of humor
- Have proven leadership skills
Put another way, we are looking for people of faith committed to social justice and community. LeaderworX candidates recognize the essential element of community, are comfortable talking about their faith, and are passionate about issues of service and justice. Strong leadership skills, the capacity to take direction, and the ability to live and work with a diverse group of people is essential.
Who runs LeaderworX?
The Center for FaithJustice, a 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to providing transformative experiences of faith in action through service, peace and justice, sponsors the LeaderworX program.
What are the accommodations like?
LeaderworX participants will reside at The Center for FaithJustice’s facility in Lawrenceville, NJ - “the Casa.” LeaderworX participants share rooms with other members, and also have common spaces at their disposal. There is a kitchen available for all food preparation. The Casa is located in a quiet neighborhood, ideal for talking walks or playing outdoor sports. However, restaurants, bars, live music, shopping and more are all within easy driving distance.
Details on Room, Board and Stipend
Community members will be provided with free room and board for the entirety of their time in the program. In addition, a monetary stipend of $1,500 for a full summer and $1000 for 2/3 of the summer will be provided to each LeaderworX participant that is 21 years or older and who meets the driving eligibility requirements.
Can I have a job while I am at LeaderworX?
No. In addition to the fact that you will be very busy for the duration of the summer, community members are expected to spend time with their community when possible. It is also very important that you take time to relax, reflect and rest!
Can I have visitors?
Of course! Visitors are welcome, particularly during non-program periods. Due to safety guidelines and space limitations visitors will have to be cleared with the Program Coordinator. We will attempt to accommodate out of town guests, however incurred expenses (i.e. additional meals, activity fees, etc.) are at the expense of your visitor.
How do I apply?
The first thing you should do is read through the information on this site. Make sure you understand the nature of this commitment and that you are excited about the possibility.
LeaderworX applications operate on the following deadline schedule. You can expect to be contacted about an interview within a week of the application deadline. Please make sure to have your references submitted by the deadline, so that we may fully consider you (if you are having difficulty with this, please contact Kimby). We strongly recommend applying for one of the first 4 deadlines.
October 3, 2014
November 21, 2014
January 9, 2015
February 20, 2015
April 3, 2015
***after the final deadline applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.